AWS - Fargate vs EC2

I am going to run 24/7 application. That is the main reason for going with EC2 based deployment. And yes I am exploring savings plan and spot as well.

Like said, Using the EC2 to full extent is difficult, but not imposiible.

Even 80%-85% usage is effective.

The only variance that could make a difference is Engineers cost. I am figuring to make it less headache pron.

What is a 24/7 application mean? Do you mean it will be doing intensive computations 100% of the time, or it has to have 99.999% uptime?

And if it’s 24/7 then why even worry about a cluster? If it’s just container you need and it’s going to run 24/7, you might look at Elastic Beanstalk. Less management overhead from a container cluster perspective, but completely able to deploy containers. Something to look at anyway.

Could not recommend EB less, there is ton of overhead using that service

24/7 means, its a java application with 12+ microservices talking to each other and with Aurora and a GrpahDB. It would not have any CPU intensive workloads. Its a sort of web application with ecommerce and few other things.

It would have tracing, service discovery, load balancer and few other modern architecture things.

I will certainly look in to EB containers, but not optimistic about my use case.

Unless you have CPU intensive workloads you should be using Lambda, at the very least AWS ECS Fargate. Using EC2s directly is going to be way more expensive.

Running lambda’s all the time for service website/mobile app users does not seem a good idea.

I am exploring fargate again with spot/savings plans.

Lambda would not support service discovery for many polyglot services.

> Running lambda’s all the time for service website/mobile app users does not seem a good idea.
Works 100% fine for lots of companies
> lambda would not support service discovery for many polyglot services.
Lambda itself isn’t a full service, neither is deploying a binary on some machine, if you want some sort of dynamic service discovery, that’s a completely orthogonal problem, with tons of solution independent of whether you pick lambda or not.