Is there no way to connect azure data factory to an existing vnet and connect to an on prem database through a vpn gateway?

So is there no way to connect azure data factory to an existing vnet and connect to an on prem database through a vpn gateway?

That depends. What are your sources / destinations?

Sounds like an Expressroute would be your friend…

Express route in it self, wouldn’t be the full solution, as you’d still need the data factory to actually talk with your self hosted integration runtime through that channel.

If your only concern is the connectivity between the self hosted integration runtime and data factory, then this can be done in two different ways.

1. You can install a self hosted integration runtime on an Azure VM, and then use that to connect to your on premises database, on the private network - utilizing your existing Ipsec/Expressroute VPN.
  2. Data Factory recently introduced Private Link support, which is applicable to the self hosted IR. This allows you to still install the self hosted IR on Premises as recommended, but also utilizing your existing VPN infrastructure.
    Next question here is, do you also care about connectivity to your azure resources afterwards? Because private link to my knowledge, won’t enforce that connection unless specified.

It’s an on prem MSSQL DB behind a firewall l want to connect to my azure database without using this whole”you have to install an integration runtime on your MSSQL instance” stuff. I set up virtual network and a VPN Gateway on azure. It seems like I should be able to connector add ADF to that. But I see nothing about connecting ADF to a VPN.

We are attempting to connect to a third party company for ingest and not sure they will feel comfortable installing this runtime stuff azure suggests.